2023 Municipal Firefighter Examination
Please find the key dates and other information for the entry-level examination.
The 2023 Municipal Firefighter Examination consists of two components, a written test and an entry-level physical ability test (ELPAT).
Key Dates for the Municipal Firefighter Examination
Application Opening: July 1, 2023
Application Deadline: August 29, 2023*
Notices to Appear for Written Test: September 29, 2023
Written Examination Beginning Date: October 14, 2023, through October 21, 2023
Please Note: The original examination date of October 14 will be utilized for all statutory purposes.
Notices to Appear for ELPAT: After taking the written examination, you will receive your notice approximately two weeks prior to your scheduled date and time for the ELPAT.
Score Release Date: TBD
Employment/Experience (E/E) Last Day to Appeal: TBD
Eligible List Establishment Date: TBD
Written Test Location: Various Sites across the Commonwealth
ELPAT Test Location: 571A Main Street, Hudson, MA 01749
Exam Fees and Fee Waiver Information
Examination Fee: $75*
Examination Fee Waiver Form Available Online.
*There is an additional $50 late fee for applications received after August 29, 2029. Applications will NOT be accepted after September 12, 2023 .
- Create or log in to your Civil Service online account.
- Read the Firefighter Written Test Preparation Guide.
- Apply for the exam beginning July 1, 2023.
- Notices to Appear for Written Test: September 29, 2023
Candidates will receive their Notice to Appear by email approximately two weeks prior to their scheduled date and time for the written examination.
- Written Examination beginning date: October 14, 2023*
The Notice to Appear will provide detailed information. Please check your junk or spam email folder before contacting our office.
- Notice to Appear for Entry-Level Physical Ability Test (ELPAT): Two weeks prior to your scheduled date and time
You will receive a notice to appear by email with detailed information and date/ time of your ELPAT Test. Please check your junk or spam email folder before contacting our office. ELPAT Test Location: 571A Main Street, Hudson, MA 01749
- Score Release Date: TBD
- Employment/Experience (E/E) Last Day to Appeal: TBD
- Eligible List Establishment Date: TBD
When the eligible list is established, you will be able to view your ranking on our website.
How to Apply for the Municipal Firefighter Examination
- Find the application for 2023 Firefighter Examination.
- Read about the examination information and find out if you’re eligible to take the exam.
- Click Apply in the top right corner of the exam poster and follow the instructions to submit your application.
- Once you’ve successfully submitted your application, you’ll see a Click to Pay button. Click the button to pay for your exam. Be sure to pay for the correct exam.
- You’ll receive two confirmation emails when you’ve completed the process:
♦ an email confirming that your application has been received
♦ an email confirming that your payment has been received
Your application is not complete until you have received both confirmation emails. Once you receive the successful payment confirmation email, you may ignore the option to Submit Payment which may still be displayed in your account.