On Saturday, June 6, 2020, Governor Charlie Baker and Lt. Governor Karyn Polito announced that Phase 2 of the reopening of the Massachusetts economy will begin on Monday, June 8, 2020.
Phase 2 of the reopening will be divided in two parts. Part one will allow the following businesses and activities to resume on June 8, 2020, following strict state-set guidance and health protocols:
- Retail, with occupancy limits;
- Childcare facilities and day camps, with detailed guidance
- Restaurants, outdoor table service only; details on the local approval process and requirements have been sent to Woburn restaurants by the Mayor’s office;
- Hotels and other lodgings, no events, functions or meetings;
- Warehouses and distribution centers;
- Personal services without close physical contact, such as home cleaning, photography, window washing, career coaching and education tutoring;
- Post-secondary, higher education, vocational-tech and occupation schools for the purpose of completing graduation requirements;
- Youth and adult amateur sports, with detailed guidance;
- Outdoor recreation facilities;
- Professional sports practices, no games or public admissions;
- Non-athletic youth instructional classes in arts, education or life skills and in groups of less than 10;
- Driving and flight schools;
- Outdoor historical spaces, no functions, gatherings or guided tours; and
- Funeral homes, with occupancy limits.
The second part of Phase 2 will allow indoor dining at restaurants (with limits), and close-contact personal services such as nail and skin care, massage therapy, tattooing, and others, all with strict conditions. The start date for that part of Phase 2 has not yet been determined.
The Governor’s press statement summarizing his announcement can be found here: https://www.mass.gov/news/reopening-massachusetts-baker-polito-administration-initiates-transition-to-second-phase-of
The Governor’s Phase 2 Executive Order can be found here: https://edit.mass.gov/doc/june-6-2020-phase-ii-reopening/download
The Governor’s revised Executive Order on gatherings can be found here: https://edit.mass.gov/doc/june-6-2020-regulating-gatherings-throughout-the-commonwealth/download
The sector-specific requirements, guidelines and best practices are posted on the state’s website at: https://www.mass.gov/resource/reopening-sector-specific-protocols-and-best-practices
The requirements, guidelines and best practices for outdoor activity and sports, including those operated by cities and towns or on municipal property are posted on the state’s website at: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/executive-office-of-energy-and-environmental-affairs-eea-covid-19-guidance-documents