Benefits for the city unionized employees are negotiated as a part of labor contracts between the City of Woburn and the specific unionized groups. Other, non-unionized employees, receive benefits which are more completely covered by the city ordinances.The City of Woburn employees have the following benefits:
Contributory Health Insurance
- City pays 75% of HMO premiums, employees pay 25%.
- City pays 60% of Indemnity health insurance premiums, employees pay 40%.
Contributory basic term life insurance
- Term coverage starts at $5,000.
- City pays half the premium, employee pays half
- Additionally, employees may purchase at group term rates optional addition life insurance.
- Employees pay 100% of the premium under group rates
- Minimum of two weeks and maximum of five weeks per year
- Dependent on years of service and for union employees, dependent on negotiated terms of the labor contract
Paid Personal Days
- Two per year unless labor contract provides different terms.
Paid bereavement days
- Number of days dependent on the relationship of the employee to the deceased person.
Earned sick leave
- Each employee earns one and one-quarter sick days per month or fifteen days per year.
- Sick days may be used only for legitimate sickness and/or injury and may be accumulated, if not used
- The labor contracts for union employees and city ordinances for non-union employees provide more complete information on sick leave.
Comprehensive Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
This provides emergency counseling and referral services for a number of problems and issues which employees sometimes face, including:
- Substance abuse
- Marital and other family issues
- Crisis counseling
- Child care referrals
- Elder care referrals
- Legal service referrals, etc.
NOTE: All employee premiums or contributions are deducted on a pre-tax basis from the employee’s weekly pay.